Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Mantel for 2010

I have been admiring the many wonderful Christmas mantels that everyone has shared in blog land and thought I would add mine to the mix.


This sweet 'Snowy Owl' caught my eye on a recent visit to a local antique shop. He was the starting inspiration for my Christmas Mantel for 2010.


 Actually, my husband had built the metal doors on our fireplace many years ago including the 2 antique Owl andirons on them as a decorative detail. I suppose I will have to give him the credit for my inspiration. The vintage snow shoe was a Christmas gift from him many years ago, as well - gotta give him his props!


I must also give thanks to 'Donna' at 'Funky Junk Interiors'. She has a stone fireplace and comes up with some wonderful ways of dressing her mantel. I incorporated a couple of her ideas - the 'White Star' and the 'Branches with Ornaments' - from her lovely mantel from last Christmas.


On the dumbwaiter side of the mantel, I placed an old chippy white window. It seemed like the perfect place to hang my twig wreath using a torn piece of white muslin. Using an old board, I stenciled the 'Snowy Owl Inn c.1778' sign.



I stenciled in white first and then offset the stencil with black paint to create the raised effect. To give it some appropriate aging, I lightly sanded the letters, followed with a coat of dark stain and then wiped it down.


I love using old materials to create 'new treasures'.


I hope you have enjoyed my 'Christmas Mantel'. Maybe, it will inspire you too!

 I have linked up to the following parties:
The Lettered Cottage


Until next time ~ Suzanne. Print Friendly and PDF

23 comments:

  1. Oh Suzanne, it looks great!
    I love owls so it is pretty special to me and I am a sucker for a nice old sign!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIMPLY GORGEOUS MANTLE VIGNETTE!!!**Your owl theme is stunning and your hubby's metal work is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful what a lovely fireplace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, the owl theme is so different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just hopped over from A Primitive Journey to see more photos, love your sign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne, Thanks so much for stopping by to see my mantel post. Yours is wonderful! I like the stone and those heavy metal doors your husband added. The old window adds a lot to the other side if the fireplace and your inn sign looks so period-style. I, myself, have no painting skills. :-(
    I like the whole rustic appeal of it all. I was looking at your previous post and admiring the scenery. Wow - the view is gorgeous in the fall!
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would have thought you made that sign. It looks antique! You did a fabulous job on it and the rest of your mantle. It flows really well. It is great to meet you on my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments. Always love making new friends. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne,
    This looks beautiful! I love the iron doors!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been seeing more owls for winter/christmas decor this year. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous mantle... I just found your blog today, your work is amazing. You are one talented lady and hubby has some well honed skills too... what a team.

    Really enjoyed the "whole" blog... yes I did.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always have the hardest time at Christmas with my mantle. I kept it really simple this year and I actually like it for a change. Yours looks wonderful with all the white. I love that snowy owl and the sign you made for it. It all ties in just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is perfect. The owls on the doors are awesome. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the rustic simplicity - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So funny! I started reading your post and thought... goodness, this feels like something I'd throw together! :) Your rock is so similar to mine and everything!

    I think you've done a wonderful job. You have a challenging area with it being so long. LOVE the window and wreath!

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzanne, I love your stone fireplace and the owl andirons. Your mantel looks fabulous with your sign and old window. Beautiful! I hope you will link up to my party that starts 12/15. Hope to see you there.
    Happy Holidays,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. simple yet very beautiful! Love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your rustic charm! Looks wonderful! I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
    Merry Christmas!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzanne, Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful mantel at my party. Happy holidays to you and your family.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful decorations~ what a neat theme and the window and stars are delightful as well. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That's a fabulous mantel! Love the mantel itself and the vignette!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Theresa
    aka:tot

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your mantel - so unique and pretty! That snow owl is so cool. Great job...Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous fireplace! I can imagine it's fun to decorate. You did a great job of adding natural elements and sparkle!

    Happy New Year!
    xx,
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top